Back in the saddle

Originally written May 19

After nearly a year since I resigned my post as Pastor of CTK Oak Harbor, I delivered the message yesterday. Actually, I led worship (with Ann) AND taught AND did a pre-marital counseling session following church! How did it feel? Like putting on an old shoe.I felt like I was in my element - helping people understand the Bible, and sharing with them insights they found interesting and inspirational. God has given me a gift for teaching. And I need to be using it again. I want to be using it again.

I spoke on the life of Asa as recast in 2 Chr 14-16. Whereas in Kings he is held up as a hero, in Chronicles he is chided for lack of faith later in life. He traded faith in God for reliance upon himself. And he died a bitter, lonely, self-sufficient man. As I prepared and taught that message I realized I was preaching to myself. I have spent the last year or two running away from a life of faith that I have always lived. I have tried to figure out ways to provide for myself and stop relying on the Church to care for me and my family. I have wanted to make pastoral work something I do as a hobby, when God has called me to make it my vocation.

It will be very interesting to see how the next 6 months progress. Where will God lead me?Will Ann and I have the courage to put ourselves and our kids through a move to a new area if that is the way God leads us? Will we, in fact, live by faith and not by sight?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack