Put the ball in play

I read tonight on my nephew's blog how as a worship leader for youth he consistently feels like something is missing from their times of worship, even though they are well planned and executed. Below is my response to him.


Josh,

Gotta say having led worship for years most of the time it felt like something was strangely missing. Very few home runs were hit. The key is to keep coming to the plate. Try to put the ball into play. Consistently getting "on base" as a worship leader or as a worship team will bring fruit over the longer haul.


I actually think one of the most difficult things about ministry work (be it leading worship or preaching or leading a small group or whatever) is that we always have these incredible ideals about what it SHOULD be, but we have to live with how it really is. So...my word of encouragement is keep guarding your first love, do your best to put together and lead meaningful times of worship, and leave the results to God. Your life is making a difference.


I have found great joy in the last couple of weeks leading worship at CTK Oak Harbor. Really the last few months. I find now that I'm a volunteer worship leader I have a much less frantic feel as a worship leader. I think I feel less like I HAVE to make something happen (or maybe I'll get fired?) I find it easier now to relax and leave the results to God as I explained to Josh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack