The Shack

My wife started reading Willam Young's runaway bestseller "The Shack" a month or so ago, and I read it after her (with apologies to people waiting for it back at the library!) It seems "everyone" Ann knew was reading the book so we both were interested to find out what all the excitement was about.

I started the book with a good deal of skepticism since I don't tend to enjoy most popular Christian fiction (too predictable and poor writing). But I found "The Shack" to be an interesting read and thought provoking as well. It seems to flirt with the far edges of orthodoxy a few times, but I think overall it is a helpful book for understanding some confusing aspects of Christianity, and for giving some vivid pictures of hard to understand doctrines.

All you have to do is get used to the image of God the Father being called "Papa"and appearing as a black woman. (Ann said she kept imagining "Papa" as the head angel from "Touched By An Angel". I kept seeing Maya Angelou or Oprah!)

I thought there was some great material on just trying to get your head around the concept of the Trinity - 3 distinct persons who are one God.

The chapter entitled "Here Comes Da Judge" was especially moving for me, where God basically turns the tables on Mack and says, "OK, since you're so good at judging what is right, I'll let YOU decide who goes to heaven and who goes to hell." Very good stuff.

I also really liked the picture given in one of the final chapters of what is really happening when two people are in relationship with each other. It made me think as I went to church this morning and worshiped with our congregation here.

As in most fiction of this sort, one must remember it is FICTION. The word-pictures are helpful, but must be brought back to scripture to make sure they don't supplant orthodox ideas.

I'm glad I read it, even if all the other people I know who read it are women. :)

Comments

Unknown said…
I read it several months ago and found I couldn't put it down ... well, as a mother of three "couldn't put it down" during nap times and such! It was a great read and I really enjoyed how the author portrayed the trinity, it was a helpful mental image for me! glad you liked it too!
Phil said…
I'm a little skeptical of reading it... The great Marc Driscoll is not a fan of it...
I'm a guy and I've just read it. Now you're not alone.

It was really incredible, despite the fact that it's so damned popular and I couldn't go anywhere without someone squealing with glee and saying "I read that! It's soooooo wonderful!"

I really admire Brad Cummings and Wayne Jacobsen though, so I gave it a shot and left with some really good God stuff.

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Trials of Ted Haggard (part 3 - his kids)

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)