Lake Stevens 70.3 - Race Report



Disclaimer: If you're looking for deep spiritual insights you should stop reading right now!


On Sunday July 6 I accomplished a goal I've been training for since Christmas, finishing the Lake Stevens 70.3 Half-Ironman Triathlon. Here's a journal of what happened, with apologies if it is too much information


Saturday afternoon I went to Lake Stevens (near Everett, 20 miles north of Seattle) with my Dad to attend mandatory pre-race meeting and get my race packet. After listening to 30 minutes of rules and regulations (don't litter, don't pass people on the right, do

n't pass cars on

the right!) we headed to the transition are (where you go in-between the 3 segments of the race) to check in my bike, along with about 1400 other racers.



Sunday morning we woke at 4:00 after having "slept" at my sister's place in Marysville (thanks Tracy!). We arrived at 5:30 am and my heart started beating faster just from the excitement of finally being there.



At 6:25 they played the

national anthem and had a moment of silence for those not able to join us in the race. This really brought it home to me that the only way I can be a part of something like this is that I live in a free and prosperous nation.



6:30 brought the start for the elite athletes, and I got lined up with the other men age 35-39, all in our triathlon wetsuits and red swim caps, for my start at 6:41. I noticed my heart was beating at about 110 just standing on the dock (usual resting heart rate is around 70!) When the horn sounded all 110 of us in my age group started out on our 1.2 miles of swimming. The first 10 minutes I had a hard time settling into a rythym, having to breathe too often and even stopping to do the breaststroke once. Kept on telling myself "you're just swimming in Cranberry Lake in Oak Harbor by yourself....RELAX!!!"). Finally settled in and finished the swim in just over 36 minutes.



Then ran to my transition area, got out of the wetsuit, donned my biking shoes, helmet and glasses, stuffed a bunch of energy gels into my shirt pockets, and headed out on the 56 miles of biking. The course is described as "rolling hills" but does include a few pretty good climbs and descents. Topped out at just over 40 mph at one point, with my mantra of "live to ride tomorrow" going through my head. Got passed by tons of people on my $600 bike with no aerobars. Regretted not installing my set of aerobars and practicing with them, which could have cut 10-15 minutes off my biking time. Also had plenty of "bike envy" seeing the thousands of dollars invested passing me time and again. My bike was easily in the lowest 5% of bikes there for dollars invested!



The biggest problem I had was using Accelerade w/ Caffeine as my energy drink.

The caffeine gives you a nice energy boost, but unfortunately in me it makes me have to PEE. A LOT. I had to stop 3 times on the bike course and about 3 times on the run course, wasting probably 4-5 minutes of time. Won't do that again.



For a few miles I raced behind a fell0w triathlete with a prosthetic limb. I asked him how long he had been doing triathlons and he said he started about 4 years ago - 2 years before he lost his leg. Pretty inspiring, but not as much as someone else I'd encounter later.



Experienced just a bit of dizziness around mile 40, but this passed after a sucked down an energy gel.



Worst part of the course was the final 5 miles after I finished my 2nd loop of the main course and headed back toward the transition area. The final part of the course had been changed in the final week before the race and I had not previewed it. It

was mostly uphill, and my brain had told me "you're almost done" when I made the turn that pointed to the transition area.



Finished the bike in about 3:15. Not too bad (but I'll do better on my next race with aerobars!)



Switched out my helmet for a running visor and my bike shoes for running shoes. Grabbed some more energy gels and started the 13.1 mile run. The course was a moderately hilly figure eight that we ran twice. The nice thing about this was that my dad, wife, and kids were able to cheer me on four different times as I passed the middle point of the figure 8. There was a big crowd gathered along about a 1/4 mile stretch and that was awesome!



The start of the run is the WORST part of any triathlon. Your legs are saying "What are you doing? STOP!!!" But after 1-2 miles I settled into a rythym.



I had a good time chatting with people along the course. (Talking takes my mind off the pounding and monotony of the run.) Met folks from Nebraska, New York, Georgia, Alaska, and Seattle along the way. The one from Alaska was a 69 year old grandmother who was running at my pace. Oldest man I saw on the course was 61 (ages are marked on each racer's left

calf muscle).



With about 5 miles to go I noticed two racers ahead of me, tied together with a short rope. When I got closer I read the words on the yellow jersey of the guy on the right. It read "BLIND RACER". Turns out he did the whole race connected to one very good friend. Did the swim tethered together, biked on a tandem bike, and then ran with that rope tying them together. That nearly brought tears to my eyes as I came up behind them and applauded them as I passed.



Had a few minor cramps in my quads about half-way into the run, but took in a bunch of gatorade and that solved that problem. (But of course led me to need another POTTY STOP as well!)




12 miles into the run I saw the finish area around the lake ahead of us, and I started going a bit faster. With 1/4 mile to go, the crowds starting getting bigger and I stepped it up again. As I turned the final corner I saw my family at the near end of the "chute" leading to the finish line. I got the chills, a huge adrenaline rush, and a big smile on my face as I realized I was almost there. Sprinted the final 100 yards and crossed the finish line in 5:56:09, beating my goal of 6 hours!



In this picture of the finish chute, you can see Bethany running behind me as I sprinted to the finish line. Ann told me later that a lot of the dads stopped and picked up their kids or ran hand in hand with them over the finish line. I was a bit embarrassed to say that thought never entered my brain as I pushed for the finish line! (I always have been task oriented, for better or worse!)







My Dad was there at the finish line to congratulate me his way - with a grin and a

firm handshake!



OK that's all! I'm done bragging. It was an awesome experience and a thrill that I will remember...until the next time!

Comments

Jody said…
Wuhoo!

Nice work, Don. Seriously...that's no small feat.

You're an inspiration to couch potatoes (or said former residents of potato states...wink wink, nod nod) everywhere.
Oma Tish said…
Wow, Don...that is really great!!
Phewwww wish I had that kind of stamina!! You should be proud of yourself...I'm sure Ann and the kids are!!
Love and Blessings, Tish

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack