Annatella


I've been commuting on public transit (the bus) a couple of days a week to save on gas money for the past few months. Yesterday on my way to work the bus was crowded and I had to sit next to someone else (I always search for my "own" seat!) I sat next next to a woman who must have been in her early twenties, said hello, and then proceeded to pull out my Bible to read a bit. She immediately asked "what's your favorite part?" and we then proceeded into a very interesting conversation.


After a few minutes she told me she was a counselor who helped people get back on their feet who had been down on their luck. I told her that when I was a pastor one of the hardest things for me was dealing with the counseling. I always felt like I had to have a good solution to their problem, and somehow felt like if they didn't leave with some helpful advice (that ended up WORKING) I had somehow failed. She shared with me that she just keeps her "energy" in the place she finds herself. While she is counseling someone, she puts her whole self into it, but when that person walks out, she doesn't hold onto the "energy" of that conversation. She just gives herself to the next moment of her day.


I told her if she could do that then she was well suited to her job. I told her my name, and she told me her name was Annatella.


I'd sure like to get better at that skill so when I become a pastor again I won't be so prone to emotional highs and lows according to how well OTHER people's lives go.


You never know what you might learn on the bus.

Comments

Unknown said…
I totally struggle with that as well uncle don. Thanks for the insight and perspective. I love reading your blogs!

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Trials of Ted Haggard (part 3 - his kids)

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)