Perseverance and calling

I recently heard from my brother-in-law, a missionary to West Africa, that in the last 20 years there have been more converts to Christianity from Islam than in any time in recent history (maybe ever). He shared about how when he and his wife went, they had a number of people turn to Christ in just the first few months they were there. But he also shared the story of a couple who had ministered in the region from around 1960-1990 who saw a total of 3 people come to Christ. One, two, three. And by the time they left the mission field, two of those had returned to their Muslim roots.

When I heard that I was floored. I immediately thought "Could I have done that?" I'm actually pretty sure I could NOT have. I would have thrown in the towel many years prior to that. I would have "shaken the dust off my feet" and moved on somewhere else. I would have concluded that the Holy Spirit was not in it (for whatever reason). I would have thought I was a bad missionary. And I'm pretty sure I would have thrown in the towel after just a few years.

But not them. They stuck with it. And though there was nothing visible to show them that God was with them they remained true to the calling they had received. It must have been one strong calling!

The results of their faithfulness was that the next generation of missionaries started reaping converts. All they did was plant, and plant, and plant, scattering seed faithfully, but never enjoying the fruit of their labors.

Now the church of Jesus Christ is growing exponentially in regions where previously growth was just about nill.

I hope that as the Lord continues to fashion me into His image, this is one area I will learn to grow in. I'd like to know what it is to have a dogged commitment to the calling that has been placed upon my life. I'd like to know better what it is to say "Well, this is really hard right now, but I'm NOT quitting - this is the work God has given me and I intend to see it through." I need this type of perseverance.

Comments

Jonathan Oleson said…
amen. i need that too. sometimes i wonder if i'm being persevering or just hard headed...

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack