Flat

So I'm heading out on what is to be a 26 mile bike training ride this morning. A couple miles into it I start thinking about how I've never had a flat tire on a ride, and what a bummer it would be to have one happen to me in the Lake Stevens 70.3 and have to "learn" how to fix it while in the race.


Not 5 minutes later, while cruising down one of my favorite hills at about 30 miles an hour, I heard a "pop" and thought to myself "hmmm...that sounded weird...a bit sharper sound than a rock". Then about 30 seconds later I heard my back tire going thump thump and had to carefully apply my brakes to come to a stop.


Pulled my bike over into a safe spot and removed the back tire. Found a nice bent nail lodged in my tire, and then spent the next 15 minutes learning how to use all the handy-dandy tools I carry in my pack under my seat for just such an occasion. Got the new tube inserted, put the tire back on the rim, put the tire back on the bike, and then attached the CO2 cartridge to the valve to pump it up. Unfortunately I wasted a good portion of the gas and I could not get my tire up to enough pressure to ride on it. Thankfully had a cell phone on me and Ann was able to come and "save" me.


So....at least I know I can do it now, but I sure hope that's my last flat in a long time!


21 days to Lake Stevens!!!

Comments

Kari said…
LOL!! I'm so glad Ann could save the day!! ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack