Triathlons in perspective


On Saturday I finished my 4th triathlon, returning to Issaquah where I did my very first race last May. It was definitely a different feeling returning for the 2nd time. I didn't have any of the "will I be able to do it" thoughts and feeling (I'll save those for my half-ironman in July!), but it sure was a blast and something that kept me awake a lot of the night before in anticipation!


I was disappointed in my swim (haven't spent enough of my training time in the pool - and it's been too dang cold to practice in the open water this spring), but was quite happy with my improvement on my running time (biking was a bit SLOWER than last year - how'd that happen?)


This morning I was reminded of 1 Tim 4:8 as I did my morning devotions. "Physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise both for the present life and the life to come."


Training for and racing in triathlons has been a great motivator and helped me get out of my depression of 2 years ago. I am probably in better shape now than any other time of my life. Physical training is of SOME value. But it pales in comparison to the value of godliness and a life of relationship with my Creator.


I will never win a triathlon, this I know. I'll never spend the time and money it would take to get THAT fast. But I do know I'll finish the race my Lord has set out before me. Staying in, and completing, that race is of so much more value than bragging rights after a triathlon!

Comments

Kari said…
Hey Don, congrats on finishing out your triathalon. I didn't know you had a blog...just started mine this weekend. I enjoyed catching up a little bit on what's going on. I'll send you guys an invite to ours as well! Take care.

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)

The Shack