#me too (not me really, but some thoughts about the movement)

warren moon sexual harassment me too
Warren Moon just got added to the list of shame.  I've been a fan since he led the Washington Huskies to a Rose Bowl victory over the Michigan Wolverines in 1978.  I was 8 years old.

But according to reports that have come out this week, Mr. Moon is just the latest famous, influential, powerful celebrity to be outed for reprehensible behavior toward a woman who worked for him.


I want to go on the record to say I am in full support of women who have had to put up with this demeaning, harrassing, and emotionally damaging behavior publicly speaking out.  I applaud you, and I encourage more of you to take that risk.

Why? Because I want every man who thinks it is their right to treat women in this way to know it will no longer be tolerated by the "good 'ol boy" network.  I want men in powerful, influential positions to treat women as valued employees and valued people who have so much to offer that doesn't involve their physical body.  Actually I want all men to know this, not just the influential and powerful ones.

I want my 21 year-old daughter to not have to even think about using her physical appearance or her sexuality to get ahead in the world.  I want her to never have to choose between standing up for herself and keeping her job.  I want her to live her life free from jerks who think it is funny to make comments, touch her innappropriately, or make her feel like her advancement will be tied to her willingness to put up with this sick behavior.

gretchen carlson how we can end sexual harassment at work ted talkTo be fair, I realize that (as a man), I am only one false accusation away from being publicly shamed and having my reputation smeared.  So I do think it's important to withhold judgement against people simply because they have been accused.  However, I also realize that for most women there is so much to lose for them personally by publicly speaking out about this issue that it is hard to imagine why they would risk it for a fabricated story.  I am grateful for the TED Talk Gretchen Carlson recently gave called "How To End Sexual Harassment At Work" . In this 14-minute talk, she shares powerfully her own experiences of sexual harassment, and opened my eyes to the amount of courage it takes for women to speak out when they have been victimized in this way.  I'm willing to give women the benefit of the doubt, and I want them to be empowered to speak up loudly and immediately when they are subjected to sexual harassment and worse.

To the women that I know who have taken the step of speaking out, I stand with you, and I am impressed with your courage and your self-respect.  I wish you full healing from the emotional damage these incidents have caused, and much success as you move forward.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Trials of Ted Haggard (part 3 - his kids)

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)