Tozer quote


I was leading worship at a church this Sunday and the pastor used this quote from theologian A.W. Tozer:

"We all have as much of God as we want."

The pastor, a good friend of mine, went on to say that what Tozer meant was that God reveals himself to those who prioritize their life around seeking him and finding Him. We all would, most of the time, rather do just about anything than sit quietly and pray for extended periods of time. It's a point well taken, that if we would really seek God more, instead of sing songs about seeking God, or hear sermons about seeking God, we would probably experience more of Him in our lives.

But I have to say that sometimes you can be doing everything you've always done to try and find our elusive God, and yet, He will be distant. I can honestly say I've cried out to God on many occasions for "more of Him". For a charismatic "baptism of the Spirit". For the gift of tongues. For the gift of prophecy.

But it didn't seem to really matter how much I prayed for it - God seemed content to sit back and answer those prayers and those efforts with silence.

So I'm not really sure that it is all up to us, as Tozer asserted. In fact, I think that one of the things God has been trying to teach me is what it really means to have faith. Faith is when you keep on believing in the elusive, unseen, silent God. Faith is not necessarily what we try and conjure up in order to perform some great act for God. Faith is what remains when God removes all tangible evidence of His presence.

Will I still pray, when it seems God isn't listening? When the answers are long in coming?

Will I still trust that God is sovereign, even when every bit of news from our tortured planet seems to drown out whatever song He is singing over His creation?

I long for the day when I will someday look Jesus in the eye. I believe it will come. But until then I will choose to follow Him, even if it seems nothing could be more foolish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing happens the same way twice

Trials of Ted Haggard (part 3 - his kids)

Becoming more aware (a prayer of gratefulness)